Training of Education Professionals
Writing the Future
Ensuring the right to education plays a central role in the formation of a fair country, one that allows its citizens to live with dignity. How can we contribute to improving reading and writing, which are the foundation of a quality education?
- We believe in continuing education for educators as a way of constantly upgrading their knowledge, innovating their teaching strategies, drawing inspiration from other experiences and sharing successes and challenges experienced in practice.
According to the 2015 edition of the Indicator of Functional Literacy (INAF) survey, only 8% of the people in Brazil have mastered fully written language. On the other hand, according to the survey “Profissão Professor” [Occupation: Teacher] (2018), only 1/3 of teachers consider that their initial training obtained at a higher-education institution prepared them for the challenges of teaching. How can we help improve this situation?
- For us, the way is by attentively observing the classroom, the different contexts of public education in Brazil and the potential that educators, students and communities already have.
The purpose of the Writing the Future program is to contribute to the upgrading of the teaching of reading and writing in public schools across the country by means of mobilization initiatives to train educators who teach students to use the Portuguese language.
- The program involves a number of relevant and comprehensive initiatives. One of them is the Writing the Future portal, which is a distance learning environment that provides materials for the teaching of reading and writing. The platform fosters the exchange of experiences among users and contact with challenges and solutions for the classroom practice.
- The program also conducts the Writing the Future – Portuguese Language Olympiad. This contest for the writing of texts, developed in partnership with the Ministry of Education, mobilizes teachers and students from public schools across the country, spanning from the 5th year of elementary school to the 3rd year of high school.
- Canal Futura;
- Centro de Estudos e Pesquisas em Educação, Cultura e Ação Comunitária (Cenpec);
- Conselho Nacional dos Secretários de Educação (Consed);
- Fundação Roberto Marinho;
- Ministério da Educação (MEC);
- União Nacional dos Dirigentes Municipais (Undime).