Hub of Educational Development
Strengthening of civil society organizations
Training of the teaching staff
Evaluation And Monitoring
Investment in social projects is increasingly prominent in the private sector agenda. In this area, companies evolved from charity to initiatives defined as Private Social Investment (ISP, from the words in Portuguese). ISP is characterized by voluntary, planned and monitored transfer of funds to social projects that can potentially bring about relevant changes to the target audience.
This is a recent practice in Brazil, but the amount of funds already invested is substantial. Figures from the last Gife Census, a biennial survey that collects the most relevant information about ISP in Brazil, show that R$ 2.9 billion were invested in social projects and programs in 2016. This situation raises a few questions:
- Have funds been invested in the most efficient way?
- Has the target audience been properly considered?
- Were the desired transformations achieved?
- How strong was the impact?
- Were the implementation processes properly deployed?
In the current economic landscape, with the reduction of expenses in all sectors, evaluation and monitoring are even more important to guide management in the areas of project improvement and optimal allocation of resources. These tools are also crucial to support organizations facing the challenge of being effective and creative in coping with complex social problems.
- Impact evaluations can (and should) be used in highly-complex situations. They are not limited to only one research method and are critical to provide the decision-making process with better foundations.
- Good evaluations boost accountability not only to funders, but also to the project participants and to the society as a whole. Thus, it helps enhance transparency and allows the decision-making to be more focused on adapting strategies and processes to each context, as well as introducing new initiatives.
The "Evaluation and Monitoring" Program is intended to design and carry out internal and external evaluation and monitoring of the various educational programs sponsored by Itaú Social, thus allowing its managers to best follow up their activities. Methodologies are used that combine quantitative and qualitative approaches. The pillars of the program are:
- implementing strategic monitoring models that allow Itaú Social to follow up the development of process and interim-result indicators, as well as enable a better analysis of the evaluation results;
- supporting decision-making in program planning and improvement;
- providing inputs for training courses in evaluation methodologies given to social project managers and other public-policy players;
- disseminating the importance of evaluation and monitoring by means of initiatives like seminars and publications.
The Rede Itaú Social de Avaliação platform provides more information on training opportunities and reference materials on the subject.
- As Fundações Privadas e Associações sem Fins Lucrativos no Brasil – IBGE [Private Foundations and Non-Profit Associations in Brazil – IBGE]
- Censo Gife 2016 [Gife Census 2016];
- Publicação Avaliação Econômica de Projetos Sociais [Publication - Economic Evaluation of Social Projects]
- Série de publicação Avaliação do Investimento Social Privado [Series of publications - Evaluation of Private Social Investment]