Education professionals training
Writing the Future
Ensuring the right to education plays a central role in the formation of a fair country, one that gives dignity to its citizens. How can we contribute to improving reading and writing, which are the foundation of quality education?
- We believe in continuing education for educators as a way to improve their knowledge, innovate their teaching strategies, draw inspiration from other experiences and share successes and challenges experienced in practice.
According to the 2015 edition of the Indicator of Functional Literacy (INAF) survey, only 8% of the Brazilian population fully master written language. On the other hand, according to the Profissão Professor [Occupation: Teacher] (2018) survey, only 1/3 of teachers consider that their initial training taken in a higher-education institution prepare them for the challenges of teaching. How can we help improve this situation?
- For us, the way is by watching attentively the classroom, the different contexts of public education in Brazil and the potential that educators, students and communities already have.
The "Writing the Future" program proposes contributing to the improvement of the teaching of reading and writing in public schools across the country by means of mobilization initiatives to train educator(s) involved in Portuguese language teaching.
- The program brings together relevant and comprehensive initiatives. One of them is the "Writing the Future" portal, which is a distance learning environment that provides materials for the teaching of reading and writing. The platform fosters the exchange of experiences among users and the contact with challenges and solutions for the classroom practice.
- The program also conducts the "Writing the Future - Portuguese Language Olympiad." The contest for the writing of texts, developed in partnership with the Ministry of Education, mobilizes teachers and students from public schools across the country, spanning from the 5th year of elementary school to the 3rd year of high school.
- Canal Futura;
- Centro de Estudos e Pesquisas em Educação, Cultura e Ação Comunitária (Cenpec);
- Conselho Nacional dos Secretários de Educação (Consed);
- Ministry of Education (MEC);
- União Nacional dos Dirigentes Municipais (Undime).