Education professionals training
Enjoyment In Reading
Community libraries play a key role in guaranteeing the right to reading. They provide access to knowledge and culture, thereby contributing to the citizen's full development. How can these spaces grow in importance?
- We collaborate with the articulation of the community library networks in order to enhance the dissemination of the reading habit.
Brazilians read an average of 2.43 books per year according to the survey Retratos da Leitura no Brasil [freely translated as Portraits of Reading in Brazil] (2016). This number is considered low compared to other countries, thus reflecting the quality of education in the country. On the other hand, the same survey shows that, for most Brazilians, reading is seen as a possibility of broadening horizons and even improving living conditions.
- We seek to contribute to the exercise of the right to reading by training readers and formulating and improving public policies.
The Enjoyment in Reading program strengthens the Rede Nacional de Bibliotecas Comunitárias [National Network of Community Libraries] (RNBC), which brings together 11 networks in all regions of the country with a total of 105 libraries. The Rede has four lines of action:
- Space: places arranged to accommodate different types of audiences and encourage reading;
- Collection: provision of books and other supports, preferably related to literature;
- Mediation: an action capable of stimulating the reading culture in the community;
- Management: collaborative processes that ensure the equitable participation of the players involved with a strategic monitoring and evaluation vision.
Enjoyment in Reading also supports initiatives that foster reading in a democratic way, such as book fairs, workshops with writers, and the expansion of community libraries in different territories. The program understands that, when citizens appropriate literary practices and the written culture, they also become multiplication agents of these practices. Similarly, libraries can become potential spaces for sharing authorial productions, which reinforces local identities.
In addition, Enjoyment in Reading seeks to expand its activities. It has led initiatives to increase the visibility of the reading agenda in the country and articulated public policies that guarantee the right to books and reading.
- Pesquisa Retratos da Leitura no Brasil [freely translated as Portraits of Reading in Brazil] (2016);
- Pesquisa Bibliotecas Comunitárias no Brasil: Impactos na formação de leitores [freely translated as Community Libraries in Brazil: Impacts on the development of readers (2019).